Overseas Visitors

Overseas visitors

Australia welcomes all Overseas visitors couples from all nationalities to marry here. You don’t need to be a resident to marry here. You must satisfy the same requiremtns as a person living in Australia – that you are free to marry and you will be required to prove that when you lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) with me. We can interact easily via webcam or skype, fax, phone and mail, thus taking away a lot of the stress associated with organising weddings from the other side of the world.

It is easy.


Interact by email or phone to check my availability and to discuss lodgment of the Notice of Intent to Marry. A Notice of Intent Marriage form must be completed and lodged with me at least one month prior to the wedding. Once lodged with me the certificate is valid for a maximum period of 18months. I usually get couples to handle this as early as possible to ensure we have no last minute hiccups. A copy of this form can be downloaded from www.ag.gov.au/celebrants The front of the form must be completed carefully then taken to an appropriate officer to witness your signatures. An appropriate officer who can sign this form outside of Australia is one of the following:

  • An Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • An Australian Consular Officer
  • A Notary Public – A person in any country publicly authorised to attest contracts and perform other formalities. Someone authorised to witness legal documents.
  •   An employee of the Commonwealth authorised under para 3(c)  of the Consular Fees Act 1955
  • An Employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under para 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955

The easiest of all of these is usually the Notary Public. Once this has been done the form should be forwarded to me via fax first then by registered mail.


Once a booking is made, the deposit is paid; I can email my resources folder .Previous clients have always valued this. When you arrive in the country I can then view your original Identification (Birth certificate providing it is in English or passports) Any documents regarding a previous marriage must be presented to me prior to the wedding. eg A Divorce Certificate or a Death Certificate.All documents must be translated to English. Obviously, the marriage ceremony must comply with the Marriage Act, 1961 as described in “Legal Obligations”. There is no apparent reason why your marriage in Australia cannot be recognised within your own country; however it is advisable to check with your own local authorities to confirm this before making arrangements. Some countrieas require  Apostille stamp. It is important to remember that there can only be one legal marriage(civil or religious) , any further ceremony has to be a re-affirmation of vows ceremony. I would be very pleased to assist you in arranging your special day in our wonderful country.